2017年12月13日星期三

The dream I never forget


One of the human faculties which distinguishes him from others is that he is able to dream. However, one is not sure whether other animals dream; if at all they dream they have no medium to express it is just as the human. Every human being should have had dreams, some of them very pleasant, some of them bizarre and horrible; in the latter case a few have a hell of a life and they call it the nightmare. In a nightmare one may feel as if he is being choked or being drowned.

In a dream one feels all one does in wakeful hours, only the body does not move. Sometimes limbs may be moved and people have been seen to beat down their hands. Some cry and laugh, some shiver and weep. So dream is in a sense a semi-conscious state between sound sleep and wakefulness.

It should be interesting to know how dreams are caused but there are no valid theories. One thing is sure that something has been built up in the inner recesser of brains which get active accumulating concomitant interests. Very strange things appear in dreams for which there is no valid explanation. One thing is clear; some nerve center is stimulated, how God only knows, as a result many other nerve centers get into operation bringing in a chain of experiences. Things move fast and clear as on a cine screen and the subject taking part in it. The ancient belief was that some dreams foreshadowed the coming events. How far it is scientific we cannot say. Shakespeare uses dreams in his plays; for example in the play Macbeth.

I too dream and had one recently, which may be of interest. I become a ruler of my country. Suddenly I find myself at the head of a procession, to be correct it is a motorcade and I am in a Cadillac. Huge crowds, men and women and children all in their fine dress line the route through which I am taken. There are victory arches and flags and festoons. Photo flashes burst and hundreds of photographers take pictures of mine.

At last I enter a massive mansion; the guards present me the honor. I am taken by well dressed courtiers to the throne. The reception hall is big and spacious; there are glittering windows and doors, and colorful chandeliers are hung from high roof. Colored light beams into the hall as sunlight filters itself into the hall thorough stained glass panes.

As soon as I sit on the throne, the courtiers cry 'long live the King'. Then a man approaches me; he may be the chief minister. He tells me respectfully that I must announce my concessions to the people who eagerly wait to hear me speak. I am a bit nervous at first but get over it soon. I tell them that the old system of paying one sixth of one's income as tax will come into use. I add that the tax may be paid in kind. I announce that there won't be any admission fee to go into theaters and the Government itself will run all the theaters and only healthy films will be exhibited. At one stroke I abolish child labor and education of children will be completely manned by the Government. I make it known that every town and village will have a play field where the young can play and the old can relax. The production of milk in the country would be stepped up so that everybody gets enough milk. I exhort the youth to develop robust health and sharpen their intelligence.

This dream did not continue long as my alarm clock began chiming, and it was time for me to get up and study. The sweet dream vanished like the snow before the morning sun but that was the best dream I ever had.

concomitant happening and connected with another thing
   
foreshadow to act as a warning or sign of a future event
   
paid in kind paid with something of the same kind

Click here to lauch more sample english essays : http://www.englishdaily626.com/ (source)

没有评论 :

发表评论