2019年1月26日星期六

Do not judge a book by its cover


Write a story to illustrate the above saying
 
I live in a five-storey walk-up flat. Since it is not a self-contained area, I used to go to the supermarket every Saturday to get all my provisions for a week. As my Sedan was just slightly over two months old, I would wait until late in the evening when the rush hour traffic would dwindle.

Then, driving along the roads and highways would actually be a pleasure.
It was on one of these Saturday evenings while I was cruising along the Federal Highway, that I found my car suddenly veering to the left. I pulled over by the side of the road to inspect my vehicle.

I discovered that I had a flat tyre. I did not have the slightest idea of how to change a punctured tyre. Gosh, I am stranded, I thought. I felt vulnerable and terribly alone. I had been fed with all kinds of facts and fiction about what an unsafe place the city was, with all sorts of shady characters waiting to prey and pounce on isolated targets especially ladies.

A number of vehicles whizzed past me, nobody stopped to find out if I needed any help. Night was creeping in. All of a sudden, a grey jalopy pulled over just behind my car. A heavyset man in overalls alighted from the car. I took in his shabby appearance-stained overalls, unkempt hair and his stubble of grey and white.
'What's wrong?' he asked.

'A flat tyre,' was the only retort I could manage. He asked me to step aside, while he went about remedying matters. I was terrified and I did not dare to take my eyes off from what he was doing. Was he going to rob me of my cash and jewelry or was he going to drive off in my brand new car? I occasionally stole surreptitious glances at what he was doing. With deft movements, he changed the punctured tyre.

'O.K. Madam, here's your car. Have a nice journey,' he said with a big grin. He fished out a handkerchief from his pocket and started to wipe out the grime and dirt from his hands. I thanked him profusely. He just nodded and sauntered past me. As I turned the key in the ignition, I saw him looking furtively over his shoulder to make sure that everything was alright. As I made my way to my destination. I told myself that I will never again judge a book by its cover.
   
jalopy an old car in bad condition
   
overalls loose-fitting one piece garment worn by workmen
   
surreptitious something that is done secretly
   
deft skilful

Click here to lauch more sample english essays : http://www.englishdaily626.com/ (source)

没有评论 :

发表评论