2018年12月16日星期日

A PTA Newsletter Article on Excessive Homework


You are a parent who is concerned about the amount of homework given to your child by school teachers. Write an article for the PTA newsletter, questioning the wisdom of excessive homework.
 
Is Excessive Homework Really Necessary ?
Let me begin by thanking the editor of SPOST for giving me the opportunity to write this article. After listening to my comments about the excessive amount of homework given to the children of this school, Mr. David was convinced that I should voice them in the PTA newsletter.

Two of my children are studying in this school-one in Year 2 and the other in Year 4. On the average, my children take at least two and a half hours to finish their homework. They normally begin right after lunch at 2 p.m. and are only able to finish at 4.30 p.m. Some days it takes them even longer. On one occasion when I took them swimming in the afternoon, my older son was only able to finish his homework at 9 p.m.

I think that this is too much. With such a heavy load of homework daily, how much time would our children have left for other activities? I would like my children to have some hobbies like gardening, reading, or stamp collecting. But they say they have no time for these activities. I would like them to go for religious classes. But again, they have no time.

In my opinion, play is just as important, for a young child, as work. The exercise that children get out of outdoor activities is essential to their health. Sad to say, however, the children seldom have enough time to play outdoors because a good part of their day is taken up by homework. Some parents have told me that they even have to resort to hiring private tutors to help their children to complete their homework. This is getting out of hand, don't you agree?

The main purpose of homework is revision and consolidation. I suspect that some teachers think they have to load their pupils with homework so as to prove that they are doing a good job. This is unnecessary. Revision can be done in class. One period a day can be allocated for revision and consolidation work. Teachers must also co-operate to ensure that the total amount of homework given to the pupils each day is not excessive.

Click here to lauch more sample english essays : http://www.englishdaily626.com/ (source)

没有评论 :

发表评论