2018年12月16日星期日

An embarrassing incident which you find difficult to forget


Write an account of an embarrassing incident which you find difficult to forget. Explain how it happened and describe your feelings at that time.
 
I was really excited when Jimmy, my brother, agreed to take me on a fishing trip for the first time. My father had bought me a fishing rod and I was dying to try it out. Jimmy had promised to teach me the art of fishing.

It was a fine day and there were already many people around the pool. Jimmy pointed out a secluded spot under some trees, away from the crowd. It was a perfect spot, where I, as a beginner could cast my line without entangling it with those of the others.

I stared, horrified, as Jimmy threaded the worm through the hook to serve as a bait. He held it towards his back and swung it to the front. Then he reeled the line and instructed me to repeat what he had just done. My heart was thudding with excitement as I gave the rod a full swing to the back, pausing momentarily. Then I swung the rod towards the front with all my might. There was a loud splash and I found myself in the pool, still clutching to the rod.

The water-level came up to my neck. I reached out my hands for help. Jimmy had a stunned look -- his mouth gaping with disbelief. The other people at the pool gazed at me in amazement. One old man who happened to pass by and who had not witnessed the incident even shook his head and said, "It is dangerous to swim in this pool. Didn't you read the sign over there ?"

Only when two men came to my aid, did the old man guess what had happened. It was too embarrassed and flustered even to say 'thank you' to them for hauling me out. I was uncomfortably aware that I was soaked in muddy water and that a ring of laughter had arisen from around the pool. Jimmy suggested that we went home at once. But, I insisted that we stayed a while longer as a show of bravado to prove that ducking in public will not deter me from fishing.

I was not easy because other people who arrived at the pool later stared curiously at my wet clothes. Only after I had caught my first fish, did I agree to go home.
My hair and clothes were still wet when we got on the bus, heading for home. Jimmy refused to sit with me. I noticed the curious looks and people whispering. I managed to keep my eyes straight ahead, but this did not prevent my cheeks from burning red with embarrassment.

"Never," I vowed secretly, "would I ever get myself into such an embarrassing situation again."
   
secluded away from people and busy activities
   
gaping wide open
   
flustered nervous or upset when trying to do something


Click here to lauch more sample english essays : http://www.englishdaily626.com/ (source)

没有评论 :

发表评论